Day 2 - 2nd May 2013

The first night in a tent on hard and unforgiving African soil with only a small "sponge-matt" to break the cold coming up from the cotton soil was a night of very little sleep! However, being up all night I was accompanied by 4 roaring lions. They started roaring at 22:00 and stopped at about 6:00 in this morning. Whenever I'm in a tent and Lions roar at night-time, I think of Charles Maclean from "A boy who knew no fear" from the book, South African Adventure Classics by PB Simons. ISBN 0-86977-671-1

That was the first book I ever read and is also partly responsible for me wanting to do a 1000km wilderness walk!

 

We headed off and soon we found lion tracks followed by giraffe and a male elephant that just appeared from nowhere! This was still early morning. It seemed like we were going to have a cracker of a day... Till literary 5 minutes later when I stepped into a porcupine hole while filming giraffe. I went down like a bag of cement dropped from an airplane!

 

I just grabbed my ankle and obviously felt a tiny bit sorry for myself while puffing like a puff adder being poked with a stick by a young naughty field ranger.

 

Rudi strapped me up and I just kept walking... I'm not someone that will ever easily accept defeat, especially not so early in the campaign! We still have many hundreds of kilometres to do!

 

Enough about me. This initiative is about rhino conservation. So here is day twos video. Enjoy! And please share!



 

Message of the day



1 comment:

  1. Aai brother. Im sorry you got hurt. But I know youre strong will and the passion you feel for the cause, after all the obstacles you overcame to start the project. This wont stop you. Please dont stop the video's its awesome. Hope you sleep warmer tonight and stay far far away from lions.

    ReplyDelete